Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Assignment Three

The website is clearly a community. It has Population/Identity, Hobby/Interests, language, participation, boundaries etc. I have not made contact with anyone thus yet because I just signed up for the website though this is an interesting opportunity to learn "stocks" with movies in its place. The capital is the fake money and the ownership of "stocks" in the game. There is a forum for which the community can participate and talk about their hobbies and interests. The website is very slow for me as I'm trying to buy stock in a actor and the page isn't loading. Elders would qualify people who have the most stocks and money obviously. You can start sure but the rich elites are the ones really in charge.


4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this site is definitely a community! However, as far as who the elders are I would think they are just site moderators because how can more money and stocks hold more power when they are not real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. (I deleted my original reply because I forgot to check the 'notify me' box)

      "How can more money and stocks hold more power when they are not real?"
      But they are to the users. It's kind of like karma on reddit. People with the most 'internet points' (whether it be karma or fake money) are respected and looked up to by the other active members. So I guess they're elders in the sense that they have experience and an earned respect by the community, but they don't necessarily have more power than anyone else.

      Delete
    3. There IS real power on this site. It is monitored by people who are truly invested in the film industry to determine what's hot and what is not. It is monitored by the same people that subscribe to Variety, the journal of the entertainment industry. Want to see more in a given genre or by a given star? Believe it or not, these investments are part of the Star Quotient for making that happen.

      Delete